Home

insulationWhether you are building your home or maybe your energy bills have decided to go through the roof, not literally of course!  Insulating your attic with the proper material makes a lot of sense. The insulation in your attic is an effective way to reduce energy costs, but choosing the correct application is necessary for the best possible result. “I don’t know about you, but with everything going up now days, finding a way to save some money seems like a no brainer.”

Thankfully, there are several materials available for insulating your attic. Some of these are; Fiberglass in batts or rolls (This insulation can be installed somewhat easily, without asking for much help. However, the nature of pre-cut insulation will not give you the best coverage, due to the fact that it cannot fit in all the cavities and hard-to-reach areas in the attic), blown-in insulation available as fiberglass or Cellulose, sprayed foam which comes as either open or closed cell, and Foam board or Rigid insulation that comes in boards of various sizes and thicknesses. All of these materials have a varying counts of what they call “R-value” levels. Some have benefits that the others don’t. Discussing this with a professional insulation installer should help you to figure out the benefits of each and which is best for your home.

Cellulose Insulation – The Greener Choice!

Blown-in Cellulose insulation cannot be performed by one person and usually requires professional insulation services, but its advantages definitely far outweigh the hassle. Cellulose is made of recycled newspaper; up to 75%-85% of its composition is recycled paper fiber. The remaining 15% is a fire retardant mixture of materials. Compared to all other insulation material, Cellulose is ranked first in recycled content. Fiberglass, on the other hand, is only up to 30% recycled.

Cellulose is also non-toxic as it doesn’t use any formaldehyde-based products;this is why the off-gassing is not a problem. Insulation rolls might seem like they are an easy way for you to save some money, but it is not a well-rounded solution. Most attics are full of odd shaped cavities, utility boxes, pipes, and wiring, so you must take care to tailor-cut them for the best fit. If they are not properly installed, this insulation can leave air gaps that promote air drafts, thus lowering the (the R-value). This is where Cellulose as a blown-in application, can fill in those cavities, hard-to-reach areas and the spaces around obstacles, providing an evenly filled insulation. The result creates the stated R-value of that insulation rolls cannot. The R-2000 standard requires an R value of 40 for the attic, which translates into 12 to 15 inches of Cellulose loose fill, the “R” factor is what helps keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Better Insulation? Choose Cellulose Insulation

Because cellulose is denser than fiberglass, it provides better protection from air infiltration, while limiting convection heat transfer at the same time. Of course another factor in determining the correct R value is the geographical location of your home. Depending on your climate, you could live in a colder or hotter region, thus requiring a specific need to create the most efficient insulation method. The correct insulation will help in keeping your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter! Again, this is why you need to speak with a professional to determine what is required in your area.

 

As stated before, any good reputable company will explain the various options available for the best insulation, and recommend the right application for you. Once you decide on the proper material, they should be able to give you a reasonable estimate of the energy savings and financial savings you could see over a period of time. You might even find that the savings in energy costs will pay for the insulation in a shorter period of time than you may have thought possible. No matter what decision you plan to make with your insulation needs, the most important thing to remember is that insulating your attic is a necessity. If you have a new home, check the amount, coverage, and integrity of your attic insulation so you can be sure the best solution was chosen by the home builder. If by chance you have an older home, your attic insulation might not be as efficient as it should for energy savings. So with all this information, you may want to sit down with one of the top insulators in their field. We will be sure to give you a warm reception!